Richmond Home

Changing a Grade

Faculty submitting a change of grade can access the form through the Registrar’s office website or use this link. Faculty must provide the student’s ID number and name, the CRN for the course and the semester it was taken as well as a brief explanation for why the grade is being changed. Change of grade approvals are handled by Associate Dean Sharon Feldman.

  • If the grade being changed is for an "I" or "Y" (incompletes) then only the instructor needs to complete and return the form to the Registrar's Office.
  • If an “I” incomplete has already converted to an “F” and for all other grade changes, the form will go forward to the department chair for approval before being sent to the A&S Dean’s office. 

Note: Incomplete grades are awarded when special circumstances such as illness or accident prevent the student from doing the required work before the end of the term. There are two types of incomplete grades, an "I" (punitive) and a "Y" (non-punitive).

  • An "I" grade counts as an F in the student's GPA and is automatically converted to an "F" grade if the student has not made up the work assigned by the 45th calendar day after the end of the term and a change of grade form has been submitted.
  • A "Y" grade does not affect a student's GPA. As indicated above, the changing of an incomplete to a normal letter grade does not require signatures of the chair or dean. An "I" grade that has been converted to an "F" is no longer considered incomplete.


Please contact Associate Dean Sharon Feldman for any questions about the grade change process.